Calibre Weeks in Review

Once again this is a weeks in review instead of once. I’ve been focusing more on new features than blogging. Calibre 0.7.57 is out and is also the beta for 0.8. Adding the tweak “test_eight_code = True” will enable the 0.8 features. Get Books aka Stores For quite some time I’ve been working on integrating […]

Amazon APNX file format

Coming with the Kindle 3.1 firmware is the ability to have real page numbers. Getting ready for this Amazon has put out a preview release of the 3.1 firmware and has started adding the necessary information to Kindle books to show the page numbers. The page numbers themselves map to the pages of the corresponding […]

EZReader Pocket Pro Review

Background My wife bought me an Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro For Christmas this year. This device isn’t my first or even second ebook reader. It is now my third. The first a Sony PRS-505 having been commandeered by my wife. The second is a Cybook Gen 3 which due to the firmware update shortly […]

Calibre Week In Review

Not much on the calibre front for this past week from me. The only thing I’ve worked on was adding support to the Nook driver for the cover image to be sent to the device with the book. Also, if there is no cover associated with the book a default cover with the title authors […]

Why User Replaceable Batteries Don't Matter

Robert B, who is Astak’s Director of Bus. Devl., posted a blog entry about user replaceable batteries. I mostly agree with him that they are a benefit to consumer electronics. I mostly agree because I don’t see them as a positive in every case. I posted the following on his blog as a comment but […]


A while back I made a post about ASCIIizing Text. With it was a simple python application that would convert Unicode characters to ASCII equivalents. It doesn’t do a basic conversion but also Latinizes the characters when they are outside of the ASCII range. The uni2ascii package I made has a few short comings I’ve […]

Calibre Week in Review

Like every week there were miscellaneous bug fixes. However, this week I did a bit more. TCR input and output. Do be warned that the output supports multiple compression levels; the higher levels being slower than the lower. For instance a 200K TXT file as input will take around 25 seconds on the lowest level […]

Calibre Week in Review

I haven’t had one of these for quite some time. I’ve been working on other projects and on the calibre font I’ve only dealing with small bug fixes. However, this past week I’ve done a bit of work that is worth mentioning. I’ve cleaned up the FB2 output. It fixes some invalid markup. Fixes some […]

Calibre Two Weeks in Review

This time I missed last weeks week in review because I simply forgot. I’m hoping to keep this to a minimum in the future. The big news is calibre 0.6 has been released. Kovid is now back to his regular (weekly at the least) bug fix releases too. As of now the latest version is […]

ASCIIize Text

One pet peeve of I have with my Cybook Gen 3 is its inability to properly display unicode characters in plain text files. I don’t need anything fancy like Japanese characters just simple things like “ and ” (as opposed to ” and “). To solve this problem I’ve been thinking about adding an –asciize […]